As 2018 winds down next week, we will be reminded about what a terrible year this has been. To recap, we witnessed:
- Catastrophic hurricanes in North Carolina and Florida, and deadly wildfires in California
- Mass shootings in Parkland FL, Santa Fe TX, Pittsburgh PA, and Thousand Oaks CA
- A growing refugee crisis on our southern border
- Numerous government scandals, indictments, resignations, and now a shutdown
- And most recently, a stock market that has fallen nearly 20% (so far)
Tragic events have also hit close to home, as some of my closest friends are dealing with serious illnesses. It is easy to get despondent, but it’s Christmas Day, when we should all look for a glimmer of hope and optimism. Like many of you, I spent this morning enjoying the look on my kids’ faces when they opened their Christmas presents. Not being satisfied, I played old tapes of past Christmases, when they were even more joyful! I can’t say that most of those toys lasted a year before they were broken or forgotten, but the memories of being together at Christmas will last a lifetime!
Like many of you, at Greater Austin Urology, we’ve also seen our ups and downs this year, but I remain focused on True North, and what it will take to get us there. Everything else is just a detractor and a temporary road-bump. I can’t help but think of the words of the late comedian George Carlin, who said it best: “Don’t sweat the petty things…and don’t pet the sweaty things!”
May the blessings of the Holiday Season be with you and your family. Merry Christmas, everybody, and best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2019!